MD Psychiatry Admission
Lets know more about MD Psychiatry admission.
MD in Psychiatry is the specialty of medicine dedicated to the diagnosis, prevention, research and treatment of mental disorders. It is a three-year post-graduation medical course which covers the Clinical training of common psychiatric syndromes such as psychotic disorders, mood and anxiety disorders, clinical illness psychological effects, doctor-patient interactions, human development, patient interviews, and medical ethical issues.
The aspirants who successfully complete Doctor of Medicine in Psychiatry course is called Psychiatrists, during the course duration, the aspirants get in hand extensive training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness in a bio-psycho-social approach. MBBS is the basic qualification required for doing psychiatry in India. To take admission MD Psychiatry One has to attend PG Medical Entrance Exams The psychiatry field has many subspecialties that require additional training, such as child and adolescent psychiatry, addiction medicine, and geriatric psychiatry. The psychiatrists who have completed the course may enter any government / private hospital and may even visit different universities, colleges, industries, prisons as counselors.
MD Psychiatry Course Duration
Doctor of Medicine in Psychiatry is 3 years course, the students have to go through national level exam NEET- PG conducted by the National Board of Education (NBE).
Eligibility for MD Psychiatry course
Applicant must have completed an MBBS degree with one year rotational internship, however, a student who is continuing with the internship can also participate (*the internship should be completed before the commencement of the academic year by 31st march).To get an entry into postgraduate medical course applicants also has to hold permanent registration from the Medical Council of India or state medical council.
Process of Admission in MD Psychiatry
To get admission to MD Psychiatry the student have to appear for NEET PG Medical exam conducted by NBE . The student have to qualify NEET-PG with the set cutoff decided by NBE followed by NEET PG counseling. The cutoff percentile of NEET-PG for the general category is 50th percentile and for SC, ST and OBC is the 40th percentile. The Probability of getting admission into MD Psychiatry depends upon the NEET score and NEET Rank of the candidates, after qualifying the NEET-PG entrance test the students has to apply for centralized PG Medical counseling.
The counseling for all India quota seats for all government medical colleges and Deemed University are conducted by MCC-medical counseling committee. For PG Medical admission into state government medical colleges and Private medical colleges, the students have to apply for the state PG Medical counseling conducted by respective DME -Director medical council.
MD Psychiatry seats in government and private medical colleges are available under various quotas like – All India 15 percentage quota seats, state quota seats, management quota seats and NRI quota seats, the students have to carefully select their category at the time of filling the form for counseling.
MD Psychiatry seats in government colleges
There is a total of 95 Government Medical Colleges in India which offers MD Psychiatry course, the Psychiatry seats in government medical colleges are approximately 497 in different states of the country out of which 5 Government Medical colleges holding 52 number of seats are in state of Karnataka.
MD Psychiatry seats in Private colleges
There are a total of 102 Private Medical Colleges in India which offers MD Psychiatry course, the private colleges have a total of 269 Post Graduation MD Psychiatry seats in different states of India, out of which 21 number of Private Medical colleges holding 57 number of MD psychiatry seats in state of Karnataka.
Salary of MD Psychiatry
The take home salary of a MD Psychiatric is about 1lakh to 5 lakhs rupees per month depending upon their experience. Some Psychiatrists Doctors open there clinic which add on to there income.
M.D. Psychiatry is a 3-year course. The candidates who wish to take this course must have done M.B.B.S degree with a minimum of 50% score and has a permanent registration in Medical Council of India (MCI). It all depends on the candidate’s performance in the Entrance exams for the Admission. The Psychiatry course is completely based on the treatment of mental disorders. Because of the increase in mental tension and stress level, the career of the psychiatrist is increasing day by day. The Psychiatrist can work with private and public hospitals. Psychiatrists can work in regular hospitals as well as in the mental hospitals. The fees charged for this course is between INR 10 to 15 Lakhs per years in private medical colleges. The candidates on completion of the course can work in colleges, universities and hospitals, in India and abroad.
List Of PG (MD / MS) Colleges
- Vydehi Institute Of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Bangalore
- MVJ Medical College and Research Hospital, Bangalore
- M S Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
- Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore
- Rajarajeswari Medical College & Hospital, Bangalore (DEEMED UNIVERSITY)
- Dr BR Ambedkar Medical College, Bangalore
- Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Bangalore
- Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences Bellur
- Basaveswara Medical College and Hospital, Chitradurga
- JJM Medical College, Davangere
- Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore (DEEMED UNIVERSITY)
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal (DEEMED UNIVERSITY)
- Sri Siddhartha Medical College, Tumkur (DEEMED UNIVERSITY)
- Sri Devaraj URS Medical College, Kolar (DEEMED UNIVERSITY)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum (DEEMED UNIVERSITY)
- Mahadevappa Rampure Medical College(MRMC), Gulbarga
- A J Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Mangalore
- Al-Ameen Medical College, Bijapur
- Father Mullers Medical College, Mangalore
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum
- Khaja Bandanawaz University – Faculty of Medical Sciences, Gulbarga
- KS Hegde Medical Academy, Mangalore
- K V G Medical College, Sullia
- SDM College of Medical Sciences & Hospital, Sattur, Dharwad
- Yenepoya Medical College, Mangalore